Tourism is still a very important aspect of South Africa that is continuing to grow and evolve. Looking into FGASA courses is a great way for you to get your foot in the door in an exciting industry that’s full of new opportunities.
The kind of career you start with after doing FGASA courses will probably be very different to what you initially imagine. There’s simply so much going on all the time that there’s always something new on the horizon for you.
Today’s tourists are more connected with the environment and care about leaving a minimal carbon footprint. A lot of today’s lodges that you can find on safari game reserves have taken extra steps to make everything as eco-friendly as possible so that guests don’t feel guilty about their stay or that they’ve added to a sense of exploitation.
With these things in mind, let’s take a look at 10 reasons why doing FGSA courses could be a great idea for you.
- You will get to enjoy a life-changing experience that you will remember for the rest of your life. The memories you make during FGASA courses will last a lifetime and stay with you forever.
- You will make some amazing new friends and mentors during the time. You will likely make lifelong friends who you will correspond with for decades to come. Who knows, you might even meet the love of your life as students have married in the past!
- You will get to be fully immersed in the wilderness for at least six months or longer! Being able to wake up to this kind of adventure every day is a real privilege and one of the highlights of FGASA courses.
- You might get a chance of getting your absolute dream job. If you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life, and this is no different with FGASA courses! Imagine if you actually got to become a safari guide!
- The skills you learn are highly transferrable, so even if you don’t land that dream safari job you can still get value out of doing it. Many students return to their home countries to use their knowledge to land jobs in wildlife tourism.
- Being able to work on a real game reserve is one of the most amazing lifestyles you can ever hope for. Its one of the safest places to work and you won’t have to deal with any morning traffic!
- Saving money is easy since you will work for 6 weeks on the game reserve then cycle out for a 2-week holiday.
- You can work in some luxurious and stunning lodges that you will look impressive on your resume when you look for a future job.
- While on FGASA courses you will learn skills, you can use throughout the rest of your life. These skills include leadership, teamwork and handling situations under pressure. 4×4 driving and photography are also skills you can learn.
- Get up close and personal with iconic African wildlife and live a life you only see in the movies. Also, you’ll get to hang around bars telling people that you work with lions and elephants for a living.
As you can see, there’s no shortage of amazing reasons to pursue FGASA courses and start a fantastic career in wildlife tourism!